Milton Park Primary School

Every day a learning adventure

Information about SEND and next steps

Information about Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) and what to do if you think your child has SEND.


What is Special Educational Needs (SEND)?

Special Educational Needs and Disability (SEND) is a legal term. It describes the needs of a child who has a difficulty or disability which makes learning more difficult for them in comparison to children of the same age.

SEND covers a broad spectrum of difficulty or disability. Children may have wide-ranging or specific problems, e.g, a child might have difficulty with an area of learning, such as letters or numbers, or they might have problems relating to peers, or to adults.


What shall I do if I think my child has SEND?

You know your child better than anyone else, if your child attends a pre-school speak to their teacher or key worker. If your child is already in school, talk to their teacher. Ask also to speak to the school’s Special Needs and Disability Co-ordinator (SENDCo), who organises extra help for children with SEND.


Talk to the teacher/SENDCo about:

  • why you think your child has SEND
  • whether your child learns at the same rate as other children their age
  • what the school can do to help
  • what you can do to help


What will the school do?

Schools are required by law to provide an education for all pupils, regardless of their ability or special needs. All schools should have a SEND/Inclusion policy. If the SENDCo and your child’s teacher agree that your child has SEND, the school will probably take a ‘graduated approach’ – this means ‘step-by-step’, as set out in the Code of Practice for SEND. They will offer your child extra support, with the possibility of more support if needed. Whatever the school decides to do, you have the right to be informed and for your views, and your child’s views, to be taken into account.