At our school children are taught French during their time in Key Stage Two. Regular lessons aim to enable pupils to express their ideas and thoughts in another language and to understand and respond to its speakers, both in speech and writing – laying the foundations for further foreign language teaching at Key Stage Three.
Learning a foreign language from a young age has many varied benefits. It liberates children from insularity, fosters curiosity and deepens their understanding of our wider world in providing an opening to other cultures.
10 reasons why learning a language is important
Learning a language:
1. Improves your grasp of English.
2. Enhances your confidence.
3. Gives you a wider understanding of world affairs.
4. Improves international relations.
5. Makes travelling easier and more enjoyable.
6. Connects the world and promotes peace.
7. Helps you make friends in new countries.
8. Shows you are open minded and tolerant.
9.Boosts brain power.
10. It is fun!